What I'm Doing
Working on a site called Jotleaf.com. A Jotleaf page is an interactive canvas for the web. You can click anywhere on it to add writing, pictures, or media embeds.
Some Things I've Done
Published two papers in the field of formal language theory. The problem they examine is a natural generalization of DFA minimization. For the first paper, my friend Ian and I co-published with a professor across the world who'd coincidentally discovered the same results at the same time. The second paper appeared in a conference, and actually reached the public first. See citations.
As the first employee at Disqus, designed, built, and launched the first versions of the API, deployment, internationalization, and third-party authentication components.
Made a website called Your World of Text. It's a creative/artistic site that has been included in gallery showings, taught in college classes, misattributed to Miranda July, nominated for a Prix Ars Electronica, and changed at least one person's life.
- Kinds of Focus — A meditation on the different things meant by "focus".
- Bitcoins, and Why I'm Buying — An explanation of the new digital currency, and my interest in it.
- My Dip Into Domaining
News & Updates
- ForNowBand.org is an experimental website for my friend Zeina's album release. July 27, 2012
- Memekit lets you put funny captions on pictures of your friends. April 25, 2012
- Seddit is a chat website based around Reddit. February 21, 2012
- Introvert at the Party, a little art/game thing. December 8, 2011
- I made a lyrics website for obsessive Joanna Newsom fans: http://www.joannanewsomlyrics.com/. You can compare different versions of a song. October 22, 2011
- Open-sourced my Django Fabfile, for quickly deploying and updating Django projects. Get the code. August 10, 2011
- Open-sourced Flowgram.com, the first startup I worked at. Get the code. June 30, 2011
- I finally posted analog-go to GitHub. This project from 2007 tries to generalize the board game Go to real-number coordinates. June 16, 2011
- Slurp Champ Downs 105 Oysters at Woodhouse Fish Co. June 15, 2011
- Faxins.com presents the web's most popular faxes! It's like Reddit, but you submit by fax. Another April Fool's project. Made with Shawn Lewis. April 1, 2011
- Your World of Text is now open source. July 25, 2010
- Some things I write will be on this here log. June 3, 2010
- Launched autolib, "the last Python library you'll ever need". April 1, 2010
- Announcing Your World of Text. Read the description. August 5, 2009
- Google just announced that the number of unique URLs on the web has reached one trillion. I am proud to announce the second trillion. July 27, 2008
- Today I presented my paper Hyper-minimization in O(n2) at the Conference on Implementation and Application of Automata, which happened to take place in San Francisco this year. You can download the paper above or just the slides. July 21, 2008